Sunday 15 April 2012

Sunday Evening

The walk back from Bowmore last night was actually very pleasant. There was a nice sunset, and an opportunity to enjoy the scenery and the atmosphere. I even did my David Attenborough bit, spotting a deer in the field (I'm pretty certain it wasn't an old dear), and some hen harriers (I think).

Then it was a quick call home to find that Alexis, Pam and Jean all sound exactly the same on the phone. At least they do after they've had some wine and are all a bit giddy with their trip to Dublin today. I was leaning out of my bedroom window to get a mobile signal so found it even more difficult to tell them apart. And I forgot to wish Jean happy birthday, which was the whole point of the Dublin trip... Sorry Jean!

Then to the bar...

Robert, the Bridgend Hotel barman, has lived in London, the USA, and for the last 4 years in Sweden where he managed a whisky bar. He ran whisky tastings but felt that he needed to improve his skills so he has decided to come back to Scotland, the place of his birth, to learn more about the subject. No finer place than Islay for that task... He got the job at Bridgend a month ago. So, I have someone to share my evening debrief after a full day distilling.

Also, he told me about Islay Ales, which has it's brewery just round the corner from the hotel. Robert has 7 or 8 varieties of their real ales behind the bar, so as a side project I'm going to be trying each of them before I leave.

That was last night, now it's time for breakfast and then the short drive over to Kilchoman...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment