Tuesday 17 April 2012

I don't know if it's the early morning light, the fresh air, or the enthusiasm for the day ahead, but I'm waking up naturally at 6:30am!

Not that it's a problem. I can have a fine breakfast, then drive the 8 miles round the top of Loch Indaal to the distillery. The last 3 miles are on a single track road with grass and occasional rocks in the centre, and the final 200 yds up the farm track would have killed the Caterham stone dead. It's all part of the atmosphere I suppose.

Once inside the still house it's warm and noisy. Not so loud to be uncomfortable, but the constant drones of pumps, the noise of the liquid boiling in the stills, and the continuous torture of Gavin's hideous puns.

This morning we had two full tours with at least 12 people in each, so I made myself scarce, but as soon as they had gone Tony had me checking the spirit, turning on the steam valves and filling in the data sheets as we charged and discharged the stills. Again I've learned so much in such a short space of time. Then I got a taste for the less intellectual aspects of the job - shovelling 2 tons of malted barley from the malting floor into the hopper to go into the kiln. It was snow shovels and wheelbarrows for an hour. Good exercise, and appetite building.

So, now I'm having lunch in the visitor centre, have received my Kilchoman polo shirt from Laura, and will shortly return to find out what this afternoon has in store for me.

I hope everything is going well for everyone out there in the real world, and you can rest assured that I am very happy in my little Islay bubble...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment