Sunday 15 April 2012

Sunday afternoon

Ferries are normally very exciting for about 10 minutes. Driving the car on board, finding your way around the ship, standing on the rail watching the port slowly disappear, then it starts to dawn on you that you have 2 hours of the slow vibration and gentle rocking...
However, I had a great time today, just watching the world drift by and catching some rays on deck.
It was flat calm, which obviously made a difference, and the car deck was less than half full, so it wasn't busy in the bars and seating areas.
From Port Askaig it was a 10 minute drive to the hotel, quick check-in, unpack, then off on a walk to Bowmore. It was 3 miles but I really wanted to do it; first, because I needed to stretch my legs after a long time in the car and on the ferry, and second because the weather forecast for the next few days is pretty awful. With the sun shining, I wanted to take the chance for a walk while I had it.
Bowmore was quiet, to put it mildly. Not a surprise at 5pm on a Sunday. But I found a nice small hotel & restaurant and went in with the intention of having a refreshing pint. They weren't serving food or beer until 6, so I had a treacle scone and a pot of tea to tide me over. (Sounds more like a 70 years old than a 50 year old, but what's a man to do?)
Anyway, my first pot of tea was taken back before I tried it, because apparently one of the staff had mistakenly put vinegar in the hot water urn. There were strong denials from the Spanish waitress, but it seemed to me that the other staff thought she was definitely the culprit. Something to do with cleaning the cutlery, but it's beyond me how anyone can make that kind of mistake.
Surely it must be time for beer and proper food by now...?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Islay

No comments:

Post a Comment