Thursday 19 April 2012

Beaches, gardens and gossip

Machir Bay is the name of the new release from Kilchoman, named after the amazing beach just down the road from the distillery. I made a quick trip down there this afternoon and it is indeed spectacular. A wide expanse of sandy beach, dunes behind, and then rocky cliffs.

On returning to the distillery (I felt guilty because Gavin was still finishing off the cask filing from this morning), Tony told me about an equally amazing bay just a mile up the coast. This one was called Saligo Bay (Islay Ales has named their summer lager after this place), and I decided to try it after work. The attached photos, taken with my iPad, really don't do it justice, but I'll put some better photos on Dropbox when I get back.

Both these beaches were beautiful, but deserted, which made the feeling of remoteness even more profound.

Back in the hotel I grabbed a beer (Saligo Bay, of course) and sat in the garden.

Even if the rest of the UK is rather damp and cold, I can sit in this peaceful setting, soaking up the evening sunshine, at 7pm, reading my book and listening to the birds.

I chatted to Robert, the barman, and Rasa, the front of house manager (who comes from Lithuania and is the partner of Kevin the chef), and Becky, the waitress, who originally comes from Coventry. I've discovered that Tony is going out with Hazel who is the daughter of Grete, another of the barmaids at the hotel who I spoke to last night. And even more bizarre, that the landlady of the B&B that Alexis and I stayed in last time we were here is actually Tony's Aunt.

You have to be careful what you say around here...

Tomorrow is my last full day on the island. You can probably imagine how I feel about that...










- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment