Tuesday 17 April 2012

Chill-down time...

I'm back in the hotel bar, with a roaring log fire that makes it look and feel wonderful, but to be honest is not really needed for heating the room. It's sunny and clear outside, with only a slight chill in the air. The forecasts of hideous weather for the whole week have been wide of the mark, though it tipped it down overnight.

I've still got my rucksack and all my stuff with me. I decided that I'd have a beer (number three on the Islay Ales list) and do some emails before going up to my room. The trouble is this is getting a little too comfortable... Maybe I'll just have another...

The hotel manager, Lorna, just walked in to the bar, showing two new guests around. She introduced me as "Alan, who is working at Kilchoman and always has a big grin on his face." I think it was meant as recognition of the fact that I'm just enjoying myself, rather than they think I am the Middlewich village idiot on some kind of respite scheme. ("you know his poor wife had to go to Dublin to get some relief of the stress of looking after him...").

I've read the BBC news but I can't see any stories about four women running riot during the tour of the Guinness brewery in Dublin. Hope it's going well, ladies!

This afternoon was reasonably relaxed, once the forklift ruck had stopped sparking and pouring out smoke, and Gavin had got down off the roof after trying to repair a leak. In between the minor disasters (all blamed on me, as a jinx, by John the distillery manager - jokingly, I should add) we managed to produce a few hundred litres of Kilchoman spirit, between 65 and 75% abv.
I imagine that our favourite Ukrainian vodka fairy would be very interested to try it... (Hi Annie!)

On Thursday, I think we're going to be filling some casks, which I'm really looking forward to. Remember this is the newest distillery on Islay, set up only 7 years ago. I had a wander into the warehouse today and saw Cask No. 1, filled on 14th December 2005. Now if I could only get that into the boot of the Passat by Friday...



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Location:The bar

No comments:

Post a Comment